5/30/11

A Perfect Memorial Day - S'mores Cake!

We did not do our annual beach BBQ party this year because many friends were out of town or getting ready to move and the weather here in Southern California has been down right windy and chilly! Yesterday we went to a friends house and I was asked to bring a dessert. Usually I make cupcakes but I wanted something that was easy and no fuss, yet still delicious. So I googled, "easy chocolate cake", and found Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake.
If you are a seasoned baker like me, you may find your self re-reading some of the measurements of the ingredients, because they almost didn't make sense.
But They worked. The last ingredient was to add 1C of boiling hot water to the batter, which they warned would make it thin. More like hot chocolate thin. I was a little dubious when I set the pan in the oven to bake and had to rotate the pan plus extend the baking time till the center was solid and a tooth pick came out clean.
Other than that, I was very happy with this recipe. :)
For the S'mores topping, which I totally added on at the last minute, you will need:
  1. package of graham crackers
  2. package of mini marshmallows
  3. 1 Cup mini chocolate chips
  4. 1/2 of the cake frosting
So go ahead and make the frosting that is with the cake recipe. Put aside 1/2 of the frosting in a small microwave safe dish. Use the other bit of frosting to spread on the cooled cake.
Put some crackers in a cereal bowl and use the bottom of a hard cup, plastic or glass to grind the crackers up. I used about 1/2 the package.
Don't worry if you have some little pieces in the bowl.
Use your hand to sprinkle the crumbs onto the frosted cake.
Melt your frosting in the microwave, about 20 seconds and use a spatula to drizzle about 3/4 of the frosting onto the crumbs.
I used almost all of 1 package of mini marshmallows on the cake. Pressing them down into the frosting and covering any opening. The amount you use is up to you. Now if I had one of those brule' torches, I would have lightly torched the top of the mallows, but I did not.
So I drizzled the rest of the frosting on top of the mallows and sprinkled the mini chocolate chips.
Next time, I might put this in a broiler for a few minutes to melt the mallows a bit before serving.
Ether way, the cake was a hit! Not to sweet as I feared (with all the extra's), but just right. The chocolate cake was the moistest I have ever had and I am sure I'll be making the cake again, with or with out the S'mores.
Happy Memorial Day weekend!

2 comments:

Sara said...

I could just eat that all up. yummy. Hugs Sara

MaryNSC said...

That LOOKS UMMIE!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...