6/20/12

Freedom Resin Art




I'm so excited that you could come and visit me today! I just love anything and everything SteamPunk, don't you? I also love to work with resin and thought this piece would be nice and patriotic for the hop! Thanks to Leslie Rahye  for a great theme!
To make this Steampunk piece, you will need the following: 
  1. Amazing Mold Putty.
  2. Amazing Clear Cast Resin.
  3. Silver Alumilite Metalic powder.
  4. Fabric strips.
  5. Letter beads.
  6. Steampunk themed trinkets.
  7. Something to make your mold, I used the wooden handle of a rubber stamp.
  8. Small dry paint brush.
  9. Scissors.
  10. Toothpick and sandpaper.
  11. Wax paper and old tray.
  12. Mixing stick and small Dixie cups.
  13. Metallic permanent markers, I used copper and gold.

  1. If you are new to Amazing Mold Putty, I have a really great visual on how to mix the white and yellow mold putty here. You basically mix the two together, kneading it quickly until no traces of white appear. Then you form a square larger than your block. Press the block into about 3/4 of the way and pinch the corners of the mold 'snug' around your block. Let set about 15 minutes till hard. Pop out block.
  2. Use your dry brush to apply the Alumilite to the entire inside of the mold. Use sparingly as a little goes a long way.
  3. Set your mold on the wax paper and again onto a old tray.
  4. Measure your Clear Cast Resin in the cups provided and then pour both into your Dixie cup. Mix completely with a mixing stick.
  5. Pour a 'bit' of resin into the mold, using the toothpick to help get it into the corners.
  6. Place your fabric strips into the mold, pressing them into the resin with the toothpick.
  7. 'Color' any trinkets with the gold or copper pens to help make them look vintage if you want. The copper gear piece next to the key is really white plastic that I colored to look 'old'. :)
  8. Pour in a little more resin and add your trinkets, moving them in place with the toothpick. If you happen to get resin on your hands, don't panic, alittle nail polish remover will clean up your hands just fine.
  9. Add more resin until the trinkets are covered.
  10. Place away from draft in a sunny spot if possible. My craft room was really warm the day I made this, so instead of the normal 48 hours cure time, is was done in just 24 hours!
  11. Once set, pop out and sandpaper the sharp corners and anywhere else you see fit.

Then color the edges with your copper and gold pens. I used the copper to sign my name and date on the metallic back. I still have not decided if this will become jewelry or what. For know, I just like to look at it and add it to my shelf of SteamPunk creations!
Thanks for coming by, I hope you like this!
Please visit the rest of the Artists for more Red-White & Blue Steampunk Fun!


11 comments:

DIYDesignStudio said...

Awesome project and great fit for the topic! Love all the mixed mediums too!

Lyneen said...

Love your resin project!!! Love that you painted all the pieces to give them a vintage look!!! Great Idea~~~~~

Vidette said...

Lovely, lovely project.

silvia said...

Super cool!!! Thanks for the tutorial!!

Regena said...

I really like this!

Barbara Rankin said...

This is so cool, Michelle. You have inspired me to go play with resin and molds again. TFS!

Morninglass said...

Lovely Project, great elements!

Fab said...

wow gorgeous, love it ! X Fab

girls bedroom ideas said...

Hey every one
Faerie * Dust * Dreams
The content is really good, it seems quite trivial to expect, Really wonderful

Melony Bradley said...

This is really cool. I have some shadow box naokin rings I have been making that will be super cool using these materials.

http://mel-designs.typepad.com/my-blog/2010/09/shadowbox-napkin-ring-tutorial.html

Melony Bradley said...

This is really cool. I have some shadow box naokin rings I have been making that will be super cool using these materials.

http://mel-designs.typepad.com/my-blog/2010/09/shadowbox-napkin-ring-tutorial.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...