5/25/13

Alter a old jewelry holder with Spectrum Noir Pens!

 A couple of weeks ago, I stopped into my local Goodwill store to see if they had any summer skirts I could wear for summer. Not one skirt. Can you believe that? However, I did manage to find some cute summery tops and this jewelry holder. Because it had roses and my younger Sisters middle name is rose, I thought I would alter it and give it to her for Mothers Day. :)
 Materials needed: Windex to clean the dirt and grime from the metal, a covered work surface, alcohol pens (I used Spectrum Noir), Beacon 3 in 1 clear craft glue, Fresh Mowed Grass Dew  Drops, Scrap paper and clear sealing spray.

First you want to clean the piece with the Windex..
Then start painting your piece with your alcohol pens. Start light and blend into dark. This piece had the design on both sides so I painted the roses the same color, front and back.

 When I reached the base, I found that the price sticker was hard to remove and when I tried Goo-Gone to remove it, The base became sticky.
 So here is how I  made the decorated base.

  1. Trace the base of the piece onto your scrap paper and cut out.
  2. Fold the shape in half.
  3. Fold in half again.
  4. Once more, last time. I promise.
  5. Snip off the tip as shown with your scissors.
  6. Open up shape and cut out pie pieces as shown.
  7. Now you can start gluing your pie shapes to the base of your piece.
(Having the pieces cut into pie shapes gives you room to fit, especially if your base is not flat.)


 Still using the beacon glue, first cover the lines of the overlapping pie shapes with the dew drops. Then freely add more dew drops where you want.
  Let dry completely before taking outside to spray with the sealer.
 Spray the sealer generously onto the Dew drop base, and then lightly on the painted roses. Don't spray too much or the sealer will remove some of the roses color.

 Made for a pretty little jewelry holder, don't you think? Jewelry not included in the gift.
Don't forget, The new Hot Flame Line is on SALE %20 off until the end of May!
See more Inspiration on The Robins Nest blog, here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...